- Advertisement -

How to Get a USA Work Visa from Africa

Posted by

The US immigration law allows Africans to work in the US temporarily as non-immigrant. Getting a work visa does come with a ton of requirements with the most important being that you already have an appointment with a company in the US especially if it is your first time.

- Advertisement -

The company will also have to file a petition which must be approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the US before you can begin your work visa application.

how to get usa work visa

- Advertisement -

In this article, we are going to dive into the various types of work visas and how to apply for a work visa.

Work Visa Descriptions and Qualifications

[catlist currenttags=yes]

- Advertisement -

H-1B (specialty occupation)

If you’re coming into the US to perform services in a professional job, you will require an H-1B visa. You will also need a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty to be approved.  Your employer will have to file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor detailing the terms and conditions of its contract of employment with you

H-1B1 Treaty-based Temporary Work Visas

This type of visa is only provided to Chilean and Singaporean citizens due to the free trade agreements with both countries.

- Advertisement -

H-2A (seasonal agricultural workers)

With an H-2A visa, you can apply to fill temporary agricultural work positions in which U.S. workers are not available. The employer must file a Form I-129, Petition for the non-immigrant worker, on your behalf.

H-2B visa (skilled and unskilled workers)

If you’re coming to perform a temporary job in the US for which there is a shortage of U.S. workers, you will have to apply for an H-2B visa. Your employer will have to obtain a Department of Labor certification confirming that there are no qualified U.S. workers to fill the position being offered to you.

- Advertisement -
READ ALSO:  Cost of USA Visa & Requirements

H-3 (trainee)

An H-3 visa will be required for non-immigrants coming into the US to receive training from an employer in any field for a period of up to two years. You could be paid for your training, however, it cannot be used to provide productive employment.

H-4 (dependents)

This type of visa is offered to spouses and unmarried children under age 21 to accompany you to the US. You must be a principal holder of a valid H visa and your family will not be allowed to work.

L-1 (intra-company transferees)

An L-1 visa is provided to employees of international companies being temporarily transferred to a parent brand or subsidiary of the same company in the US.

- Advertisement -

L-2 (intra-company transferees)

This type of visa is offered to spouses and unmarried children under age 21 to accompany you to the US. You must be a principal holder of a valid L visa and your spouse may seek employment authorization but will have to enter with his/her own L-2 visa.

Other types of work visas

- Advertisement -
  • (foreign nationals with extraordinary ability)
  • P (artists, entertainers)
  • Q (international cultural exchange participant)
  • R (religious worker)

How to Get a USA Work Visa from Africa

  • Fill the non-immigration visa electronic application (DS-160). This would be done online.
  • Provide a passport valid for travel to the United States. The passport must have a validity date of at least six months beyond your period of stay.
  • Provide a recent 5cm x 5cm photograph.
  • You will have to pay the non-refundable non-immigrant application processing fee. This will be paid at any GTBank. branch or you can pay online if you have a GTBank account. The visa application fee is $190.
  • You will have to present an interview appointment letter to confirm your appointment.
  • Academic qualifications that prove you’re qualified for the job.
  • Letter from current and previous employers detailing your position and responsibilities.
READ ALSO:  How to Apply for a US Visa from Africa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *