The Swedish government scholarships for developing countries offer about 300 scholarships to study master’s degrees in all Swedish universities on a full-time basis, starting in the autumn semester of each year.
Due to its importance, the competition for the scholarship is very high, usually, around 2-6% of applicants are lucky enough to be awarded.
In order to enhance the chances of being accepted, our website provides, through this article, all the information related to applying for the scholarship, as well as offering a set of tips to support the application for candidacy.
Scholarship identification card
- Location: Sweden
- All Swedish Participating universities
- Specializations: Available here
- Study level: Master’s degree
- Eligible Nationalities: Available here
- Scholarship type: Full scholarship per month + travel allowance and health insurance
- Deadline: February 20
- Study language: English
If you are ambitious, have leadership experience, and strong professional background, you can apply for a fully-funded Swedish government scholarship for a master’s degree at any university in Sweden.
Read also: Best student credit cards for travel
Qualification Requirement for the Swedish Government Scholarship for Developing Countries
In this section, we will be taking you through the things an applicant must have before he/she can have access to the scholarship.
1. Work Experience
The applicant must have completed at least 3000 hours of work.
You must be a citizen of a country eligible for the scholarship program.
3. University Admission
The applicant must register for university admission and pay the registration fee at the Swedish universities (usually €90) and the applicant must have obtained admission to one of the eligible master’s programs by the 7th of April 2022.
4. Leadership Experience
You must have demonstrated leadership experience in your current or previous job.
5. Other Eligibility Criteria
There are other conditions related to dual citizenship, previous residence in Sweden, studies in Sweden or in a European country, and others.
Scholarship Features and Characteristics
The Swedish Scholarship is considered a full scholarship and includes:
- Tuition fees: to be paid directly to the Swedish University
- Living expenses: $1,116 per month
- Travel grant of $1,673 (The travel grant is a one-time payment for the entire study period. The scholarship does not apply to students already living in Sweden)
- Sickness and Accident Insurance
- SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL) membership – a platform to help you build your network while in Sweden
- Membership in the SI Alumni Network after your scholarship period – a platform for continued networking and further professional development
The required documents for this Swedish government scholarship program
The required documents changes every year, therefore, the applicant should only submit the required documents listed below in the online scholarship application as no additional documents will be taken into consideration.
The applicant must complete the application in English and use the forms available to us below and complete them according to the instructions below and in the forms, otherwise, such applicant will be disqualified.
Also please note the maximum length of your answers and documents
- University certificates translated and attested
- Academic transcripts translated and certified
- Motivation Letter: You must use the Motivation Letter form provided on the scholarship website.
- Curriculum Vitae ( CV) : You must use the SISGP CV template
- Two different letters of recommendation: The reference’s SISGP form must be used.
- At least one letter of recommendation must be submitted from a reference for the applicant’s work experience
- Evidence of work and leadership experience: You must use the SISGP form for proof of work and driving experience.
- The work and leadership form must be signed by the referee and stamped with the official seal of the indicated organization or notary office (the form must be printed)
- A copy of your passport: Your personal details including name, nationality, and photo must be clearly shown. A copy of the passport must be included with the CV on the last fourth page.
Note: The required documents and forms change from year to year, so the student must verify the use of the forms for the year of application.
Moreover, this is usually available two months before the last date for submission
How to apply for the Swedish Government Scholarships for Developing Countries.
Applicants who meet the requirements above can proceed with their application. The application stages include:
1. Apply for admission to the desired master’s program.
Note: If you have any questions regarding university admission, application fees, and application number, you can view the link for university admission details from here.
2. Apply for the SISGP Scholarship during the application period 10-20 February 2022, submit the required documents digitally through the online application portal.
Access to the online application portal will be available via the scholarship page during the application period.
Note: Due to a large number of applications, the online application portal may come under severe stress at the end of the application period.
Therefore, we advise our students not to wait until the last days to submit applications.
After the end of the application period, notifications of admission to the university will be sent. 300 successful scholarship applicants will receive formal scholarship acceptance via email from April 24 to 28, 2022.
If you have received scholarship acceptance, you must accept or decline this offer by the deadline specified in the offer.
It is your responsibility to ensure that the email address you filled in on your application is correct to be notified of the offer.
Note: Only those who have been accepted will be notified. This is due to the large number of applicants.
Several applicants can be placed on a waiting list for a reserved place.
Scholarship offers rejected by successful candidates can then be submitted to waiting list applicants.
Please note that being on a waiting list does not guarantee that you will be awarded a scholarship. SI will publish the waiting list when successful scholarship recipients are announced.
Tips to boost your chances of acceptance
To enhance the student’s chance of obtaining the scholarship, his/her application must be distinguished from the rest of the applications so here are some tips to boost a student’s chance of getting the scholarship.
1. Taking the time to apply for the grant
Due to the high demand for the grant, technical problems may occur on the site that hinders the registration process, so we recommend an early application.
2. Choosing a major
The majors chosen should be in good agreement with the student’s abilities.
The student can choose different, but similar, specializations because the committee can consider the difference in the specializations and believe the student does not know exactly what he/she wants, and this is considered a weakness in the application.
It is also preferable to apply for new specializations for students who have not yet decided on their choices and do not have a specific orientation.
3. Choosing the University
The student must choose universities in different cities and not focus on the major cities only because most of the candidates focus on these cities, which makes the percentage of opportunities less in these cities, and this may be a reason for rejecting your candidacy.
It is also important to focus on universities that accept foreigners to increase the chances of admission.
4. A good formulation of the motivation letter
The letter of motivation is an important document for the scholarship.
So, the student must formulate it carefully to increase his/her chances of acceptance.
Drafting the thesis requires answering questions related to the research topic that the student intends to study at the postgraduate stage, stating the importance of this topic, and highlighting your competence in this field.
Finally, the Swedish scholarship is an excellent opportunity for Arab students, because it includes all disciplines.
There is a great demand for this scholarship from students from all over the world, which makes the competition for the scholarship strong.
For more scholarship opportunities, check here.